Thursday, April 21, 2011

Kinda Frustrated

Well gang ... don't know what to tellya.

Been taking meetings (yeah, I know that sounds "Hollywood" ... but sometimes ya gotta use the lingo) for the past couple of weeks and bustin' my butt trying to make things happen, but everything kinda seems in limbo right now.

I'm the kind of guy that needs some sort of perpetual forward motion, but it seems like I'm trapped in a world filled with people that just let things lay there.

I'm well aware of the fact that people have other things and projects in their lives that need attention and I totally understand that.    My problem is that I don't like being told that something is going to happen .... only to have to wait months and months until ANYTHING actually happens.


I'm sure that all of you have people in your lives that say they're gonna do things and then that topic just lingers and fades away with absolutely no progress.

One of the continuing themes in my life right now is that a lot of people want to work with me ... and nobody is ponying up the dough to pay me for my time.


I think the entertainment biz is the only place I know where you're expected to work like a maniac with only the hope of getting paid for your efforts.  Then they change everything you did and expect you to smile and thank them for the opportunity.

"Sure Steve, we'd love to have you write that screenplay.  Tellya what, why don't you give us 90 pages in three days and we'll pass it around, change it, add an exploding dwarf, a tapdancing albino, and a dyslexic pig ... and then never pay you for any work you've done."


Now, I've got a lot of amazing things coming up that will be very exciting, but I have no idea where it will lead.

I have at least three of my plays being staged in Long Island and Manhattan and they should be damn fun.  I also have a couple of short films in post-production, but those are lingering because of fund lackage (hey look .. I made up a word!).

Nobody really gets paid when a play is produced, since it takes a lot of people to do and everybody usually justs breaks even monetarily .... but whatever.   Sometimes art is art.



It's a shame that you can't use "art" as legal tender to pay your bills with.

So for now, I'll just keep perpetually moving, keep my head down, and barrel through some of the bullshit I've had to deal with in the past few months.

My goal  is to find some sort of solution to all of this chaos.

I'll just go take a meeting about it.

No comments: